If you want to know a little more about this program that sends shoe boxes full of goodies to less fortunate children around the world then just follow this little link. Samaritans Purse
At our church and I am sure other churches in the area, we all put our boxes up on stage. WOW!! What an impact that makes! This pic is from a church in Springfield but not my own. However we did the same thing.
That morning, a question came about from a friend of mine. Is this something we should be doing?
Matthew 6: 1-4 (NIV)
" 'Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.' "
My immediate thoughts were that seeing all the boxes had a huge impact on me. It made me glad I put the effort into preparing the box. Sometimes we get so overwhelmed by all we have to get done that a little box can seem like too much effort. Crazy isn't it?? Seeing all those boxes reminded me that we are making a difference and I need to continue to participate next year.
I mean, my name is not attached to it so I'm not getting praise from others specifically, and my heart is in the right place. Are we praising ourselves as a church or are we just making a statement reminding us that we have the ability to do something big if we just try? I think sometimes we fall into thinking we can't make enough of a difference.
So then I found another verse, as I was contemplating Matthew 6.
Matthew 5: 14-16 (NIV)
" ' You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.' "
I've spoke to a friend a little about this question but my point in writing this post is to know what you think!
Dear Readers, What do YOU Think??
Please post a comment if you have insight, other verses that might apply, or just thoughts you want to share with everyone.
Thanks!
I think the difference is the first verse says sound no trumpet before you to highlight your deeds. The second verse is about others seeing your good deeds, if they have questions about your actions or your deeds that by speaking/sharing you may glorify God.
ReplyDeleteSeeing the anonymous boxes gives a feeling of accomplishment! Go for it!
ReplyDelete